Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Xbox 360 Review Update

I mentioned in my previous review if I noticed anything different or if I came across something with my tv settings that could make the games look better I'd return with my findings. Here I am to give you the dirt and it's not much different, maybe just a little.

First my tv has 4 settings for video (Vivid, Standard, Movie, Pro) it seems that when my buddies used my controller they've changed some of these settings by accident because normally I have it set to Standard. The reason why? Vivid, is just that, too bright and vivid. Standard is just right and Movie, and Pro just get darker. It seems my tv was set to Vivid which gave the cars in PG3 the cartoony look. After changing it to Standard, things looked much better.

Personally though I've played games on my regular Xbox in HD and must say that playing them in HD on my Xbox 360 isn't really that much different. As my buddy says, "What more can they do"? I guess I won't be happy until 3D is made to be almost true virtual reality.

For all you folks that have yet to get one it seems they are finally rolling into stores. From what I understand is that locally at our Sams Club they have shelves full of them, it of course just had a grand opening so that could have been the reason.

As far as the games are concerned I've since gotten all the rest of the games I felt were worth getting. I got Codemned by exchanging Quake 4 which came with my bundle - (Not a big Quake fan as I stated before), Need for Speed - Most Wanted, NBA 2k6, NHL 2k6. I will say this, the sports games on the Xbox 360 sure do shine. Just hope that the 2k7 of these will have specific Xbox 360 improvements graphically.

As a game player I play all my games on the highest possible levels of difficulty and must say King Kong is a breeze for what I've played of it and Call of Duty 2 doesn't seem to be all that challenging either, but this could just be me, I am sick when it comes to gaming. I'm still constantly downloading all the new Arcade type games as they arrive on the Marketplace and my buddies are into Call of Duty 2 and NBA 2k6 pretty hard. Of course COD 2 is a challenge for my one buddy and I constantly have to hold his hand through many of the levels but as far as playing many of the High Profile games I just really haven't played them much. Another buddy and I played Need for Speed - Most Wanted and it was quite enjoyable to play it split screen and so was PG3 (I still want my damage)... LOL.

I can't wait for Burnout (Best Racing Damage) and from what I've seen of Fight Night 3 this game may be one that finally shows off the incredible graphics the system is supposedly able to produce. Another item I find disturbing about the Xbox 360 is that most of the games just come above the required 720p for HD. Why can't game makers make them all 1080i then they'd all be backward compatible with the other HD standards??? At least a few have the 1080i rating.

As far as my original review, nothing really has changed, the games are still only just slightly above the Regular Xbox in HD if even noticable and the fun with the system is still to be found with the Arcade less expensive and far from High Production games... Only time will tell, I just wish as an addition they'd make the games that are multiplayer have more people, it seems no more than 24 is max at this point and most are like 8 player. It's Broadband speeds lets up the amount of players. Another great feature would be to allow Xbox 360 folks the ability to join PC games of the same name.

Personally I think a game like WWII Online, or Everquest needs to be ported over to the Xbox 360 where thousands can play all at one time. My nephew finally got his Xbox 360 and he mentioned that he's beta testing Final Fantasy XI (From some magazine) and it takes up 6 Gig of your 13 Gig Drive (20 - OS) and it's pretty much what I've just asked for, only question is, will they charge you 10-30 bucks a month? Not sure how they'll do this one, but I just wish with the yearly subscription you could get games such as this and on a console. Well enough for now and my review score still stands now that the graphics look a bit better than the original go at it. Just don't be shocked when you realize an Xbox in HD isn't much different than a Xbox 360 in HD...