Sunday, January 25, 2009

Here we go again!!! Outsourcing 2...

Hello once again. I can not believe I had gone a whole year without posting anything. Sorry for the delay, must have been a busy year. So here is a bit of what is going on in my life and in IT in general.

I guess this is what happens when you have a steady job and not much time for doing other things you enjoy doing such as playing Red Orchestra and it's (Darkest Hour Mod). For those who haven't frequented my blog will know this to me, is one of the best WWII First Person Shooter games available and a good way to relieve the stress that I may incur during a busy day.

The MOD (Darkest Hour) mentioned above is to be released in a more final form January 31, to my knowledge. Then of course my Wednesdays are tied up in the evening watching one of the most incredible shows on television (LOST)...

Now with that being said I thought I should relay other things going on, thus the title of this post. Here we go again!!! Outsourcing 2. Now for those that have read all of my posts should remember a few of them early on about IT in general and how I have perceived it over the last 15 or so years.

Here I am at another newer job from those I've posted about previously, I've been at this position for almost 2 years now and my previous job I had, was for a good 8 years. Now these jobs are jobs I'd stay at for the rest of my life if it were up to me, but in IT and as a contractor this is never the case. We also can't leave out the fact that Outsourcing is always taking place as well. With the current financial situations at many companies the fist place they go is their IT infrastructure and how they can eliminate many of those jobs to save money in these trying times.

So as of a month ago our department was pulled into a meeting which fell on a day we normally never have them. This meeting was to say "Well folks we are outsourcing the department". We then were told that a company would be taking over our duties and that we would do what we call in IT (Knowledge Transfer) for 3 months. With this being said it meant I would go from making a really good living to being one of those folks lined up on the unemployment line (Worst Case), or that I might have to move onto another job for another company as a contractor for much less than I currently make. To put things in perspective for those that aren't attuned to what being a contractor entails, this means you can go from making 100k one year to making NOTHING the next. It's the nature of the beast.

Now I've had two incredible jobs in the last 10 years, of course minus the BS that you always deal with on a daily basis with those you actually work with, and with this new job there were no shortages of having to work with idiots and those who follow the old adage, that I've posted before called the Suck and Swallow of IT.

Then you have the guys who are much further up the food chain, who never have a clue of what goes on down below, or what their employees jobs truly consist of, or who are the people really doing the work and creating the processes and the like.

Remember folks those that usually do most of the work are not the ones that get the credit for this, especially in corporate America and IT period. I've always been one to never miss work and have always done my job to its fullest but have never taken credit for something I hadn't done or have been a YES man, but yet those are the types of folks who always find themselves in the line, you'd think these folks would start sucking up. Not this guy, I'll be happier unemployed, knowing I never had to follow that route.

Now onto a short story to go along with this.

We recently did an integration project and put in several hours of overtime and had great success in this integration and when the end came, those who had actually done the work and put in the hours were totally left out of any correspondence and dinners etc. that were held for having such a complete success.

Only the higher ups, this being from full blown managers and higher, to PM's, to planners, and even folks that had NOTHING to do with the project, were invited and congratulated for such a job well done, but the worker bees were totally left out completely. A month after all of this, the department that had done all the work is the department being outsourced... Doesn't make sense does it?

Well considering the success of the integration was truly on the worker bees, by leaving them out entirely, probably made the higher up's wonder what does this department even do?

If they didn't even help in the integration, when it should have been that department who had done the work period, why do we pay these people? Our department would probably be one of the higher expenditures, because of everything we actually do, thus the reason we are probably now being outsourced... The only fact left out was we actually did do all the work on the integration and have done more than could have ever been expected by a group of our size. This is not a huge group but the work that had been done was more than any huge group would have normally produced.

With experience of being outsourced, or jobs moved to other countries for a leaner expenditure for companies, I always ask myself, "Will they ever learn???" At this point I'd have to say NO...

At this point the unemployment line is looming and from my knowledge will start on April 1st, unless something else within another department comes up before then and some of us can move into.

I can say though that when myself and another individual had taken on our position they originally wanted 12 people to do it and it's only been him and I all along and the rest of our department were never able to keep up with what the 2 of us had been doing for the last 2 years. We had come into this company and practically re-wrote their whole process on getting servers out. If you were to ask anyone though we had done nothing...

We had put out a few thousand servers last year and the people that got the pat on the back were the planners and project managers, who actually never touched a piece of hardware. These are the things that go on in IT and corporate America, that people like myself have come to really regret about the IT field. I could go on for days about this subject and even about my current position and all that has gone on over the last 2 years, but I have no reason to toot my own horn, I know the kind of work I do and how well I do it.

Now with more time to do things looming I may be able to post more on here and actually hope I can keep those who frequent here coming back for some more. I've always got something to say and stories to tell. Come back and I hope you enjoyed this latest rant, I'm sure there will be more to come. Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home